Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Gabe Turns 6!

Gabe had his much anticipated 6th birthday yesterday. He was the VIP at school which meant he got to bring the snack to kindergarten. I have a friend who is an amazing cake maker and she made cupcakes for Gabe to take to school. He wanted bug cupcakes "to scare everyone."

Gabe really really wanted a cowboy and army outfit for his birthday. Of course, his cowboy outfit had to come with boots and a gun. I lucked out when I walked into Toy-R-Us and one of the first racks I saw had both a cowboy and army costume hanging on it. And these costumes are pretty cool. The canteen actually holds water, the binoculars and walkie-talkie work, and they both came with hats. Surprisingly, Toy-R-Us doesn't sell any type of cap gun so I had to get that at Wal-Mart, and I had to go to four stores to find cowboy boots. But the extra effort paid off when he opened the boots and got the biggest grin on his face. He wore them all last night and then to school today.


Gabe blew out all the candles on his cake before we even finished singing Happy Birthday so I'm sure all his wishes will come true.

There are so many things I love about Gabe:
I love his laugh. Hearing it makes me laugh; it is so happy
I love his kind heart. He is so good about helping people around him and making sure everyone is happy.
I love that he never forgets a name. Seriously, he is better than most adults at remembering names and being able to put a face with a name after meeting someone only once.
I love practicing the fiddle with him each day. He really has a gift for music and picks up on tunes and memorizes so quickly.
I love watching him be such a loving big brother to Ian. Whenever Ian does something funny Gabe will give me a big smile and say, "Isn't he so cute?"
I love to watch him color. He concentrates very hard and makes some beautiful pictures.
I love how he genuinely cares about other people. Not many little kids will ask someone how their day went or what they did that day, but Gabe loves to find out about other people.
I love how good natured he is. He is so pleasant and easy going.
I love to see him get dressed up in all his costumes - Star Wars, Power Rangers, Batman, etc.
I love how he wants to hear a Japanese story each night before he goes to bed.
I love the big hugs he gives.
I love his long, thoughtful prayers.
I love his big heart!